Effective September 1, 2017, we can help consumers (but not small business TV customers) with a range of complaints about subscription TV services provided by cable, Internet Protocol television (IPTV) and national satellite direct-to-home (DTH) TV service providers.
We can accept TV complaints only when the facts leading up to the complaint occurred on or after September 1, 2017.
The CRTC Television Service Provider Code (TVSP Code) is administered by the CCTS. Highlights include requirements for TV service providers to:
- provide customers with their written agreement and related documents in plain language
- ensure that prices, additional charges and the duration of promotional offers set out in the written agreement are clear
- provide customers with a time frame and information on any potential charges regarding service calls for installations and repairs
- give 30 days’ notice to customers in the event of a change in price of channels, bundles of channels or rental equipment
- offer Canadians with disabilities a 30-day trial period
For information about the services and issues we cannot help you with, visit the Exclusions page.
Is my TV service provider required to join the CCTS?
The CRTC decides which TV service providers must join CCTS, and when. Below is a table which identifies the TV providers which must join the CCTS, and the date by which they must do so. You can file a complaint with the CCTS about any of them, provided that the problem causing the complaint occurred after the date the service provider is required to join the CCTS.
|TVSP / Brand||Date required to join CCTS|
|872580 Ontario Inc.||01/10/2017|
|Beanfield Technologies Inc.||01/09/2018|
|Bell Fibe (Ontario)||01/09/2017|
|Bell Fibe (Maritime)||01/09/2018|
|Bell Fibe (Quebec)||01/09/2017|
|Bell Satellite TV||01/11/2017|
|Cogeco Connexion Inc. (Ontario)||01/09/2017|
|Cogeco Connexion Inc. (Québec)||01/09/2017|
|ColbaNet Telecom Inc.||20/09/2017|
|K-Right Communications Inc.||01/09/2017|
|People’s Tel LP||01/09/2017|
|Persona Communications Inc.||01/09/2017|
|TELUS Satellite TV||01/09/2017|